Saturday, December 23, 2017

I Was Not His Father, He Was Mine


When I was a teenager, I have a memory of my neighbor, Will Terris, singing this Forgotten Carol in church, perhaps even on multiple occasions. Brother Terris has the most rich, deep, and beautiful voice that sounds so very much like that voice in the album track itself. Whenever I listen to this carol, I can almost travel back in time and imagine Brother Terris singing this song. But, despite the beauty that I was able to recognize as a young man in the melody and in Brother Terris' presentation, the message of Joseph the Carpenter's carol was largely lost on me until I became a father myself not so many years ago.

As a father, I finally had some inkling what Joseph may have meant when he sings about his fears and insecurities as a dad who was charged to raise the Son of God. Now, as wonderful as my four beautiful children are, none of them carry the title Son of God or Daughter of God (with a capital S or capital D) the way that Jesus Christ rightly carries that title. However, my most basic beliefs and faith help me to know that they are without a doubt sons and daughters of God (with lower case s's and d's). And, when I stop to think about it, my charge to raise them and care for them in a way that would please their Heavenly Father who has entrusted me with their safe keeping, nurturing, and instruction in light and knowledge should be no less daunting and inspiring of insecurities of my own than that charge entrusted to Joseph, the earthly father of our Savior.

I found some footage from a Mormon Messages video that really highlights some of that insecurity and fear that Joseph most assuredly would have felt. But I love so very much that moment when he gets to hold his divine son tightly both in a lowly stable while Mary is sleeping and on the road in a loving embrace. I know that Jesus would have adored his father and respected and honored him. And that makes me feel so much respect and love for my own father. And I only hope that I can somehow earn the trust and respect of my own children as I strive to fulfill that sacred charge with which I have been entrusted with dignity and in a way that would please my Father in Heaven.

Merry Christmas and God Bless!

*******

He was working late one evening with the wood he knew so well
When she thought she recognized him, though at first she couldn't tell.
As she humbly begged his pardon, a strange sadness swelled inside
When she asked, "Aren't you the father of that man they crucified?"
Then the carpenter repeated what he's said so many times.
He said, "I as not His father, He was mine."

Then he humbly went on working with those worn and calloused hands.
Though she did not ask more questions, he knew she didn't understand.
So he asked if she would help him, and he saw her answer in a glance.
She did all the chores he asked her; she was so grateful for the chance.
Then they talked for hours of Jesus and how he knew He was divine.
He said "I was not His father, He was mine.

"For how could one so foolish and so flawed
Ever hope to raise the Son of God?"

Then he spoke of the misgivings that he had had a thousand times
And how Jesus found the tender moments to let him know he'd done just fine.
And then the carpenter recited the greatest truths he'd ever learned
And testified they all came form Jesus, and then her heart within her burned.

They embraced as she departed, and Joseph told her one more time,
"Tell them I was not His father; tell them He was mine.
No, I was not His father, He was mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment