Sunday, February 21, 2010

Of Sermons and Soapboxes

So I don’t aspire to callings in my Church or opportunities to speak from the pulpit, and I’ve never taken the opportunity to publically climb up on a soapbox and speak my mind. However, during an interesting Sunday School lesson, when stopped at a red light for two minutes and no cross-traffic is coming, when I watch a movie that is profound and really makes me think, or when I see something or hear someone say something that is just ridiculous or incredibly wise, I often find myself with something to say.

And more often than not, it goes unspoken, and I take the opportunity to have long, drawn-out conversations with myself. Some of these conversations turn into full-fledged debates, and I can’t tell which side will win out. When I do give voice to my thoughts, more often than not, my wife is present and reminds me that she has heard the same thoughts countless times. So my purpose in writing here is two-fold: one, so I can leave my thoughts to posterity, friends and family, the void of the world-wide-web, or anyone out there who may care to read my thoughts, and two, I want to clear out my head so I can end the debate and enjoy some inner-silence once in awhile.

I intend to leave politics and personal gripes alone for the most part and focus instead on spiritual observations in my life so that this is something of a spiritual journal for me. Hence the sermons part… But if I do digress to complaining about that stupid commercial that keeps replaying or the horrendous logic that was included in the programming of my nearest traffic light, you can remind me that, like my wife, you’ve heard it all before and I should climb back down off my soapbox.

Please don’t judge me or belittle me for my views. I am just an ordinary son of God who is trying my best to make sense of life each day and gradually become a little more like my Savior.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment